How an account can be compromised
This article explains how an account can be compromised, allowing your account information to be exposed to or changed by an unauthorized person.
There are several ways your Yahoo! ID or Yahoo! account can be placed at risk. Here are a few:
- Responding to a fraudulent "phishing" email that pretends to be from Yahoo!, asking for your user name and password.
- Having a type of malicious software called a "key logger" on your computer.
- Allowing third parties access to your account.
- Leaving your account signed in at a public location.
- Utilizing the same password across multiple online services or applications.
To learn more about protecting your online security and your Yahoo! Mail account, please go to the Yahoo! Security Center.