Clear your Yahoo Messenger cache in Windows
If you are seeing error -40402, your contacts cannot see your display image, or you cannot see there's. We've go help for you
Learn how to clear your Yahoo Messenger cache to resolve a variety of issues:
- "An error occurred while trying to access the 'SocialView' plug-in."
- "The last Address Book operation did not succeed due to a server error. (error code: -40402)"
- Your contacts can't see your avatar or display image - the picture appearing next to your name in message windows, or your contact list.
- You can't see your contacts' avatars or display images.
Note: These steps apply to Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8; including 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
Clear your Yahoo Messenger cache
- In the notification area located next to the clock at the bottom-right corner of your screen, right-click the Yahoo Messenger smiley icon, then select Exit.
- Note: Windows 7 and Windows 8 users may have their "Messenger smiley" icon hidden in the notification area; if so, move your cursor over the up arrow in the notification area to display the hidden icons, right-click the Messenger smiley icon, then select Exit.
- On your keyboard, press the key combination Windows + R.
- Type cmd and press Enter.
- Copy one line at a time from the list of command prompts below, then right-click within the Command Prompt window to paste the command.
- After pasting each command, press Enter on your keyboard.
Note: If you receive the "The system cannot find the file specified," continue with the next command. These errors are harmless.
rd "%AppData%\Yahoo!\" /s /q
rd "%ProgramFiles%\Yahoo!\Messenger\Cache\" /s /q
rd "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Yahoo!\Messenger\Cache\" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\VirtualStore\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\Cache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Yahoo!\Messenger\Cache" /s /q
- Click the X button to close the Command Prompt.
If you get an "access is denied" error follow this process: Substitute this for step 3 above - Start | Programs (or All Programs) | Accessories. Make sure to right-click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator, and then continue with step 4 above.
- Restart Yahoo Messenger.