Customizing the help text for fields
Often times, buyers may not know how to input data in a valid format. For example, your site may display a phone field where the required format is only numbers and spaces (408 555 1212). The buyer may try entering their information in various other formats (408.555.1212, 408-555-1212). While you can choose to not set field validation rules so that any format will be acceptable, you may need to accept information in a certain format if you are processing the information through a third party system for order management or other purposes.
In cases where you have set field validation, Checkout & Registration Manager also allows you to provide field help text to guide buyers as to the acceptable formats.
To add customized help text for fields:
- From the Checkout & Registration Manager main page, click the "Page Configuration" link.
- Click the tab of the page where you wish to add help text.
- Select the field to which you wish to add help text from the "Manage Sections and Fields" section and click "Edit".
- Click the "Next" button.
- Enter or paste the help text you wish to display with the field. For example:
- Email: Please enter a valid email address.
- Number: Please enter a valid number.
- Number range: Please enter a valid number range between X and Y.
- Click "Save" when finished or click "Preview" to save and view your changes.
- Return to the Store Manager and publish your changes when ready.