What do the dots next to my contacts' names mean?
The yellow, gray, or red and white dot next to your contacts' names in the "Messenger" section of your Yahoo email account and in Yahoo Messenger indicate if a person is online and available for instant messaging. If a contact is signed into Yahoo Messenger, you can contact them via instant message by either clicking on the contact's name in the "Messenger" section of the Business Email sidebar or clicking on the person's Yahoo Messenger ID in their contact details.
To use this feature, enter a contact's Yahoo ID in the appropriate field of the Contact Detail page.
- Sign in to your Business Email account.
- Click the Contacts tab.
Business Email Contacts Tab
- Click "All Contacts" in the left sidebar on the Contacts tab so that all contacts are displayed. (You can also select the contact from any other open List.)
Contacts: All Contacts Link
- Select the contact you want to edit or update.
Contacts: Selected Contact Check Box
- Click the Edit Details button.
Contacts: Edit Details Button
- Add the contact's Yahoo ID in the "Yahoo Messenger" field click the Save button.
Contact: Edit Details - Messenger ID and Save Button
- The updates to the contact details will be saved and the contact will appear in the "Messenger" section of the Business Email sidebar with a yellow dot next to the name (or nickname) when the contact is online and signed into Yahoo Messenger.
Business Email Sidebar: Messenger Section w Online Contact
If the contact is not signed into Yahoo Messenger, they will not be listed in "Online Contacts".The person may also elect to have a red and white "Busy" indicator appear next to their name if they are online and signed into Yahoo Messenger but may not be available to chat.
Business Email Messenger Section w Busy Contact
For more information or to download Yahoo Messenger, visit Yahoo Messenger.