Remove an unwanted contact with delete and ignore in Yahoo Messenger
Unwanted instant messages are easy to avoid. We'll show you how.
Please know that ignoring people will not block incoming "add to contact list" requests. This allows you to receive new add-request invitations from friends who may not currently be on your list.
Don’t forget: Before you delete a contact, make note of the Yahoo ID if you also want to add them to your Ignore List.
Delete a contact
- Right-click the person's name and select Delete.
- Click Yes.
Delete multiple contacts
- Press and hold the CTRL key on your keyboard while simultaneously selecting the names of the contacts that you would like to delete.
- While continuing to press the CTRL key, right-click on one of the names and select Delete.
Access the Ignore List to add or remove someone
- Select Messenger | Preferences.
- Select the Ignore List category at the left.
- Select one of the following options at the right:
- Ignore only the people below. (You will then be able to edit the Ignore List in step 4.)
- Ignore anyone who is not in my Yahoo Contacts. (Skip to step 5 if you make this selection.)
- Edit the Ignore List:
- To ignore someone: Click Add. (This contact will be added to your Ignore List.)
- To unblock someone: Select the Yahoo ID and click Remove. (If you change your mind, you can use "unblock someone" to remove them from your Ignore List.)
- Click Apply and then OK to save the settings.
- Ignoring people will not block incoming "add to contact list" requests.
- Deleted and ignored contacts won't be notified that they have been deleted or ignored.
- The contacts you ignore will not be able to send messages to you and you will always appear offline to them.
- You cannot delete yourself from another person's contact list.
- You can ignore up to 300 contacts.