Access your Yahoo Mail account with another mail program
It's good to have options. You can access your Yahoo Mail messages with another mail program like Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird.
Important: Only messages from your Yahoo Mail's Inbox and Spam folders can be delivered to an external email client.
- Sign in to Yahoo Mail.
- Mouse over the Settings menu icon |select Settings.
- The "Settings" window opens.
- To the right of "Yahoo Account," click Edit.
- A window with additional account settings opens.
- To the right of "Access your Yahoo Mail elsewhere," select POP.
- Select your POP option from the drop-down menu:
- Don't download spam email - Only delivers your Inbox messages, not your Spam folder.
- Download spam with no special indicators - Delivers Inbox and Spam messages with no visible "Spam" indicator.
- Download spam, but prefix the word "Spam" - Delivers Inbox and Spam messages. Spam messages contain "Spam" in the subject line.
- Click Save.
Click the link below for your email program's instructions:
- Entourage 2001 and higher
- IncrediMail 618 and higher
- Mac Mail for Apple OSX v.10.5 or 10.6
- Mac Mail for Apple OSX v.10.7
- Outlook 2000
- Outlook 2002 and 2003
- Outlook 2007
- Outlook 2010
- Outlook 2011 for Mac
- Outlook 2013
- Outlook Express
- Windows Live Mail
You may need to enter these incoming and outgoing server settings
- For detailed POP settings - see the POP settings for Yahoo Mail.
- Email address - Your Yahoo Mail email address (for example, email@example.com.)
- Password - Your Yahoo account password.
- Account name/sign-in name - Your Yahoo ID (your email address without the "@yahoo.com" at the end; for example, "jo.bloggs.")
Don't see your mail program? If it isn't listed above, check with your mail program's help file or website for instructions on setting up POP.