Overview of Yahoo Mail
While it's not possible to switch back to a previous version of Yahoo Mail, we've got details on our returning features and new enhancements right here.
- Bring your Yahoo Mail to life with a background image or theme.
- For more info, learn how to change Themes in Yahoo Mail.
- Left Navigation column - Access your email, folders, recent activity, Messenger, Calendar, Contacts, and Notepad from here.
- Content area - Where your opened email, calendar, contacts, and notepad appear.
- Message list toolbar - Move, delete, and reply to your emails, mark them as spam, and access more actions.
- Settings menu - Access your Yahoo Mail's settings and Themes options here.
Your Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Notepad, and Messenger are always a click away in Yahoo Mail.
Just look for the icons in the upper left corner, where they remain no matter what you're doing in your account.
slide left to see more
Clicking the icon opens up its content in the middle of the screen.
The left navigation also contains your Folders and Recent activity.
Your toolbar will appear differently, depending on your preview pane settings and whether you're viewing your message list or an individual email.
Preview Pane Right:
- Select menu - Choose which types of messages you select.
- View menu - Access your "Sort by," "Preview Pane," and Themes options.
- Reply to sender - Replies to only the sender of the email.
- Reply to conversation - Replies to everyone in the conversation.
- Forward the conversation - Forward on the email to someone else.
Preview Pane Bottom:
Preview Pane Off:
Viewing a single email:
See the additional options at the bottom of each email you receive.
The options for Reply, Reply All, and forward are found both at the bottom of a message and on the Message List toolbar. Learn about "More" below.
Report hacked accounts, phishing scams, and emails that were not addressed to you, as well as print and delete your emails.
Click More at the bottom of a message to access these options:
- Delete Message - Delete the email.
- View Full Header - View the email's full header information.
- Set Language Encoding - Select the character encoding used to view the email.
- Print - Print the email.
- This is Spam - Send the current email to spam.
- Report a Hacked Account - Report a suspicious email sent from a known contact, which you don't believe they sent, to Yahoo.
- Report a Phishing Scam - Report suspicious emails asking for your personal information to Yahoo.
- Not My Mail - Report an email addressed to another recipient to Yahoo. Clicking Not My Mail will move the email to your Spam folder.
Writing a few lines to a friend or sending Flickr photos to a group? Our overview of Yahoo Contacts has information on sending emails to your contacts and contact lists.
For even more info, check out our help article about how to address an email.
- Add personality to your emails by changing your font, adding an emoticon, and more.
- Our help article about composing and formatting your messages has the info you need.
- You decide where emails open with your Preview Pane.
- See our viewing email with the preview pane help article for more info.
We have the tools to help manage your Inbox. Click the linked text to learn more.
- Folders - Put everything in its right place with folders in Yahoo Mail.
- Filters - Tell incoming emails where to go in Yahoo Mail with filters.
- Sorting - See only the types of messages you want by sorting your emails by date, sender, and more.
- Searching - Find the emails, files and photos you need quickly by searching in Yahoo Mail.
- Settings and options - Learn about the many Yahoo Mail settings and options.
Access your calendar, contacts, and notepad from the left column. They each open in the Content Area, not individual tabs as before.
We believe this is the best Yahoo Mail ever and want to hear what you think. Share your thoughts with Yahoo product teams on our feedback page.