Securing a hacked Yahoo account
Change your password
- First, change your password immediately.
Once you've changed your password, check some common settings often changed by hackers.
Review your account settings
- Security questions: If they have been changed, follow the steps for changing your security questions.
- Alternate email address: Go to the Account information page, click Update your contact information.
- Check that the email addresses listed are correct and belong to you.
Review your Yahoo Mail settings
- Are you seeing emails in your sent folder? If not, follow the steps in our help article to automatically save sent emails.
- Review your auto-forwarding settings: Make sure your emails are going to the right place. If you don't use it, turn off auto-forwarding.
- Review your "Signature": Make sure your signature has not been altered, or turned on if it previously wasn't.
- Confirm your "Sending name" and "Reply-to address": Check that the name on your sent emails is correct and that you're getting all responses.