Search for messages in Yahoo Mail
Can't find the messages you're looking for? Quickly get to the exact message you're after with our advanced search, or Use our basic search to find a variety of results.
- Locate the search field at the top of Yahoo Mail.
- Enter your search criteria - like a contact's name, part of the subject, or text from the email.
- Suggestions automatically appear as you type. If you see what you want, click the item to view its content instead of searching further.
- Click Search Mail.
All messages matching your search terms appear in the search results.
Did you know? Searches are not case-sensitive. Searching for "abc" is the same as searching for "ABC."
- At the top right of your search results, click Refine to access the "Refine by" options.
- Click Show More under the following refinement options' columns to see its complete list.
- Sender - Filter by who sent the email.
- Attachments - Filter by attachment type.
- Folder - Filter which folder the email is saved in.
- Date - Filter by year.
- Status - Filter by unread, replied, forwarded, or starred.
- Click on any item under a column to see results matching its criteria.
Narrow your results: Repeat the above steps to refine your search results even further.
Once you've started refining your search criteria, you can removed the "Refined by" selections.
- At the top right of your search results, click Refine.
- Your previously selected "Refined by" criteria appears.
- Click the X next to any item you want to remove.
- Repeat the above steps to remove additional criteria.
- Enter your search criteria in the search field.
- A drop-down list appears with "People" and "Recent" search results.
- Click Advanced search.
- Enter your criteria in the following fields:
- From - Email address or name of a sender.
- To - Email address or name of an intended recipient, including yourself.
- Subject - Words or phrases within an email's subject line.
- Contains - Words or phrases within an email's body.
- Date - Anytime, Last 7 days, Last 30 days, or a custom date.
- Folder - Select from Yahoo Mail folders like Inbox and Sent, or from a folder you've made.
- Type - All, Unread, Starred, or a category like Shopping.
- Has attachment - Email contains an attachment like a .doc .pdf file.
- Has image - Email contains an image.
- Click Search Mail.
- Your search results appear and can be refined.
- See Refine your results in this help article.
- Click an email from your search results to view it.
Do a one-click search for emails from a specific sender, right from your Inbox. Our help video shows you how!