Search for messages in Yahoo Mail
- Locate the search field at the top of Yahoo Mail.
- Enter your search criteria - like a contact's name, part of the subject, or text from the email.
- Suggestions automatically appear as you type. If you see what you want, click the item to view its content instead of searching further.
- Click Search Mail.
All messages matching your search terms appear in the search results.
Did you know? Searches are not case-sensitive. Searching for "abc" is the same as searching for "ABC."
- At the top right of your search results, click Refine to access the "Refine by" options.
- Click Show More under the following refinement options' columns to see its complete list.
- Sender - Filter by who sent the email.
- Attachments - Filter by attachment type.
- Folder - Filter which folder the email is saved in.
- Date - Filter by year.
- Status - Filter by unread, replied, forwarded, or starred.
- Click on any item under a column to see results matching its criteria.
Narrow your results: Repeat the above steps to refine your search results even further.
Once you've started refining your search criteria, you can removed the "Refined by" selections.
- At the top right of your search results, click Refine.
- Your previously selected "Refined by" criteria appears.
- Click the X next to any item you want to remove.
- Repeat the above steps to remove additional criteria.
- Enter your search criteria in the search field.
- A drop-down list appears with "People" and "Recent" search results.
- Click Advanced search.
- Enter your criteria in the following fields:
- From - Email address or name of a sender.
- To - Email address or name of an intended recipient, including yourself.
- Subject - Words or phrases within an email's subject line.
- Contains - Words or phrases within an email's body.
- Date - Anytime, Last 7 days, Last 30 days, or a custom date.
- Folder - Select from Yahoo Mail folders like Inbox and Sent, or from a folder you've made.
- Type - All, Unread, Starred, or a category like Shopping.
- Has attachment - Email contains an attachment like a .doc .pdf file.
- Has image - Email contains an image.
- Click Search Mail.
- Your search results appear and can be refined.
- See Refine your results in this help article.
- Click an email from your search results to view it.