Enable POP access
It's good to have options. Here's how to access your Yahoo Mail account's messages in an external mail program like Microsoft Outlook or Mac Mail.
Step 1: Enabling POP in Yahoo Mail
Important: Only messages from your Yahoo Mail's Inbox and Spam folders can be delivered to an external email client.
- Sign in to Yahoo Mail.
- Mouse over the Settings menu icon | select Settings.
- The "Settings" window opens.
- Click Accounts.
- At the right of "Yahoo Account," click Edit.
- A window with additional account settings opens.
- To the right of "Access your Yahoo Mail elsewhere," select POP.
- Select your POP option from the drop-down menu:
- Don't download spam email - Only delivers your Inbox messages, not your Spam.
- Download spam with no special indicators - Delivers Inbox and Spam messages with no visible "Spam" indicator.
- Download spam, but prefix the word "Spam" - Delivers Inbox and Spam messages. Spam messages contain "Spam" in the subject line.
- Click Save.
Step 2: Setting up your external mail client
Once you've enabled POP in your Yahoo Mail account, click below to find the link to your mail program's instructions.
Have a Business Mail account? See our "Business Mail POP and SMTP settings" help article for more info.