Messenger in Yahoo Mail
Sending an instant message (IM) is a fast and easy way to communicate with your online contacts.
Click the Messenger icon in the Left Navigation column (all of the icons stay there no matter what you're doing in Yahoo Mail).
Yahoo Mail's Messenger opens in a pop-up window.
Important: If you don't see then Messenger icon at the top left, you're in Yahoo Basic Mail, which doesn't support Messenger. See our help article about switching to full-featured mode to fix this.
Once you've opened up Messenger, you can change your status, send and receive instant messages, and more.
To sign in, change your status from Offline.
- Click the Status drop-down menu.
- Select an availability status:
- Available - You're online and ready to chat.
- Busy - You're online, but don't want to be contacted.
- Invisible - Be stealthy and appear offline, even though you're not.
- Custom Status - Use a custom message to show you're available.
- Sign Out of Messenger - Go offline.
Once online, browse your list of online contacts to chat with someone.
- Click on a contact's name.
- A tab appears at the bottom of the Messenger window.
- Compose your message and press Enter.
- Your message will appear in the window.
Did you know? You can add emoticons or change the font styling of your text by clicking the appropriate icon.
To send a message to another contact, click the + in the bottom left corner of the Messenger window and repeat the steps above.
New instant messages are indicated with a number by the Messenger icon in the Left Navigation column.
Click to open Messenger. You'll see the number of new messages for a contact on their tab at the bottom.
- Click the contact's tab to display the new chat message.
- If the sender isn't on your contacts list, just click Add Contact to add them. (UNSURE)
Customize your Messenger experience.
Find the options that make Messenger your own!
Access your options by clicking Messenger Settings in the availability status drop-down menu.
- Sign Out - Set your preference for where you're signed out of Messenger.
- Sound Alerts - Choose if a sound plays when you get a new IM.
- Visible Contacts - Choose where you only see Yahoo Messenger contacts.
- Block Users - Block contacts from sending you IMs.
- Conversation History - Decide if you want to keep a record of your IMs.
- SMS Message Home Country - Select the country you're sending text messages within Messenger from.
Good to know: You can also access your Messenger options from Yahoo Mail settings. Mouse over the Settings menu icon | select Settings.Then click Messenger to access your settings.
Click Conversation History in the availability status drop-down menu to view your history.
Click Refine in the top right corner of your the search results to filter your conversation history.
UNSURE IF FOLLOWING ARE AVAILABLE
- Enable or disable - Select your preference in Messenger Settings (see above).
- View saved IMs - Click Conversation History in the availability status drop-down menu.
- Delete saved IMs - Select an IM and click Delete.
- Filter saved IMs - Click on a "Refined by" filter in the left panel.
Keep Messenger on top while you use other Yahoo Mail features.
The Messenger window floats on top of your Yahoo Mail and can't be minimized. However, you can close, move, and resize the window if it's in the way.
- Close it - Click the X in window's top right corner.
- Move it - Mouse over the space to the right of your availability status.
- Your cursor will change to a four-sided arrow. Click your mouse and drag the window where you'd like it.
- Resize it - Mouse over the bottom right corner of the window.
- Your cursor becomes a two-sided arrow. Click and move your mouse to resize the window.
Stay in touch with only the people you want to.
Block individuals or all non-contacts from sending you IMs.
- Click Messenger Settings from the availability status drop-down menu.
- Select a blocking option:
- Block all users not in my Contact List - Only receive IMs from your contacts.
- Block users in the Block list below - Block specific contacts.
Block all users not in my Contact ListYou won't be able to send or receive messages with anyone that's not in your Yahoo Contacts list.
Block users in the Block list below
- Selecting this option allows you to unblock users by clicking on an ID in the block list and clicking Remove.
- Block someone from sending you IMs immediately by clicking Add below the Block list.
- Enter the ID you want to block, select the ID type from the drop-down menu, and click OK.
Use the Invisible availability status to stay hidden, but see and chat with the contacts you want.
- When you're invisible, you'll appear "Offline" to everyone.
- You can still send and receive messages from online contacts.