Error messages when installing or downloading Yahoo Messenger
First make sure that you've covered the basics:
- Be signed in as the administrator (or have administrative rights to the computer).
- Close all software programs running on your computer (including those running in the background) as they may disrupt the download process.
- Disable your antivirus or spyware protection as they may attempt to block the installation (reactivate them after you finish the download).
- Have 100 MB of free disk space (required for install).
- Make sure that your system meets the minimum requirements.
If you're still getting errors, your operating system likely needs to be updated with a patch from Microsoft.
- Visit the Windows Installer update website.
- Click Download.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to install the update.
For Windows XP: Also download and install the Microsoft XmlLite update.
- Reset your web browser configuration.
- Download and install Yahoo Messenger.
If the updates don't do the trick, you should be able to avoid further errors by running the installer using Compatibility Mode.
- Right-click the Yahoo Messenger install file, then click Properties.
- A "Properties" window opens.
- Click Compatibility.
- Select the checkbox for Run this program in compatibility mode.
- Using the drop-down menu, select your operating system.
- Select the checkbox for Run as Administrator.
- Click OK.
- Double-click the install file and follow the on-screen prompts to install Yahoo Messenger.