Change your Yahoo ID
Create a new Yahoo account
If you want to change your Yahoo ID, you can create a brand new Yahoo account.
Keep in mind: Your new account won't be associated with your old account in any way, so you'll be starting from scratch with any Yahoo services that you use. Also remember that information between your old and new accounts can't be merged or exchanged.
Add an alias to your Yahoo account
If you don't want to create a brand new account, you can always create an alias to mask your main Yahoo ID when communicating with others.
This way, you'll be able to use a different Yahoo ID while keeping your original Yahoo ID and all of its settings intact. You can learn more about setting one up by reviewing our help article about creating aliases.
Use a "Nickname"
You can also choose to use a nickname in Yahoo Messenger in place of your real name or your Yahoo ID.
- Open Yahoo Messenger.
- Click Messenger | My Contact Details.
- The "Contact Details" window will open.
- In the "Nickname" field, add the nickname you would like to use.
- Delete any text in the "First" and "Last" name fields.
- Click Save and Close.
- Messenger | Preferences.
- The "Yahoo Messenger Preferences" window will open.
- Under "Category," click Appearance.
- Under "For each contact, show," select Nickname or First and Last name.
- Click Apply.
- Click OK.