Troubleshooting image issues for webcam and video calling
Webcams can be troublesome! The good news is that most webcams will work with Yahoo Messenger. You can follow the links to the articles with troubleshooting information for your specific image problem or go through the troubleshooting steps for advanced image display driver problems.
Are you having one of these webcam image problems?
- Black, gray, blurry, or pixilated image when sharing the webcam.
- Webcam freezes, stops responding, or screen goes completely blank.
Go to the webcam image troubleshooting steps:
- Black or gray screen.
- A poor quality blurry or pixilated image.
- Webcam freezes, stops responding, or goes completely blank.
- Inverted webcam image.
Advanced image troubleshooting for display driver problems:
Update these technologies on your computer.
- Download and install the latest version of Yahoo Messenger.
- Xvid, a video codec that enables video compression and decompression.
- Microsoft DirectX Runtime, which drives high-speed multimedia.
- Microsoft Windows Update, to ensure that your computer is up-to-date.
- If you continue to have problems:
- Test your webcam: Run the Video and Voice Setup Assistant to test your webcam.
- Reinstall your webcam driver: Uninstalling and reinstalling webcam software driver.
- More troubleshooting: See our help article covering Messenger troubleshooting procedures.
- Webcam not found or not connected: Troubleshooting webcam not found errors.
- Webcam specifications: Review the webcam specifications supported by Yahoo Messenger.
- Built-in webcams: If you are using a built-in webcam that is compatible with Yahoo Messenger and still experiencing an issue.
- Contact your laptop or original equipment manufacturer (OEM) for additional support.