Overview of the Yahoo Sportsbook
The Yahoo Sportsbook is a partnership between Yahoo Sports and BetMGM. Yahoo Sports will be showing BetMGM’s odds throughout our products. If you are in a US state where sports betting is legal, and you are 21+, you will be able to click through and place bets on BetMGM from both sports.yahoo.com and the Yahoo Sports app.
Betting odds will be shown throughout Yahoo Sports products across the United States. However, currently you will only be able to place bets on BetMGM if you are in New Jersey, West Virginia, Indiana or Colorado. Expansion to other states will occur as more states legalize sports betting.
- Moneyline - The odds you can get to pick the winner of the game. Negative numbers signify that team is the favorite. Positive numbers signify that the team is the underdog.
- Example 1: -200 means if you bet $200, you will win $100 (you are betting on the favorite and have to pay more to win)
- Example 2: +500 means if you bet $20, you will win $100 (you are betting on the underdog and get a bigger payout if you win)
- Spread - The amount of points the oddsmakers set to encourage roughly equal bets on both sides of a game.
- Example: Team A (-14) vs Team B. This signifies that Team A is the favored to win the game by 14 points. If you bet on Team A, you need them to win by more than 14 points in order to win your bet. If you bet on Team B, you just need them to lose by less than 14 points (or win the game outright).
- Total (or Over/Under) - The total points that will be scored in the game.
- Example: 40. You can bet on whether or not you think there will be more or less than 40 total points scored in the game.
As bets are being placed, the oddsmakers will adjust the odds to even out the amount of money on each side of a bet. You may see the moneyline, point spread, or total change over time leading up to the start of the game.
Live betting is an extremely popular and fun way to follow a game. As the game goes on, oddsmakers will continually adjust odds to encourage betting throughout the game.