Completing a NAFTA Certificate of Origin
Whether you're completing your first international order, or if you just need a refresher, we've got you covered.
If your shipment is destined for Canada and its value exceeds $1600 CDN, or is destined for Mexico and its value exceeds $1000 USD, you are required to complete a NAFTA Certificate of Origin. This certificate is used to determine if goods being imported are subject to reduced or eliminated duty. To help make filling out the form a little easier, we've created a guide to help explain what is actually being requested.
- Producer Information – Fill in this information about the producer of the goods being shipped in the fields provided, or you'll need to select one of the options provided.
- The information is available to customs on request;
- The information is the same as the exporter information;
- The information is included in a list attached to the NAFTA Certificate of Origin; or
- The information is unknown.
If you enter producer information, you'll be asked to supply the producer's street address, city, province or state, ZIP or postal code, and country code.
- Producer Name – Provide the first and last name of the producer of the goods being shipped when "Select one or fill in the details" is selected for Producer Information.
- Producer Company Name – Provide the company name of the producer of the goods being shipped. If the producer of goods is an individual to whom a company name does not apply, please enter the first and last name of the producer of goods.
- Tariff Code – Provide a valid tariff code for each item the NAFTA Certificate of Origin applies to. Tariff codes are product-specific, harmonized codes maintained by the World Customs Organization, and are required for tax assessment purposes and to ensure uniformity of product classification worldwide. A complete tariff code is between 6 to 10 digits. Find tariff codes.
If you've shipped the same item within the last 40 days and completed the NAFTA Certificate of Origin online, these numbers may also be found in the International Shipment History section of your Order Manager.
- NAFTA Preference Criteria – Select the criterion (A – F) that qualifies each item for preferential tariff treatment under the North American Free Trade Agreement. For definitions of each preference criterion, please see page 2 of the sample NAFTA Certificate of Origin available from UPS.
- Shipper is Also Producer of Goods – Indicate "YES" for "Shipper is Also Producer of Goods" if the party shipping the goods also produced the goods. If the shipper did not produce the goods, select one of "NO", "NO", or "NO".
- NO – your knowledge of whether the good qualifies as an originating good;
- NO – your reliance on the producer's written representation (other than a Certificate of Origin) that the good qualifies as an originating good;
- NO – a completed and signed Certificate for the good, voluntarily provided to the exporter by the producer.
- Goods Subject to Regional Value Content – Indicate "NC" for "Goods Subject to Regional Value Content" if the regional value content of the goods is calculated according to the net cost method; otherwise, indicate "NO".
- NAFTA Blanket Period -- When the NAFTA Certificate of Origin covers multiple shipments of identical goods imported into a NAFTA country for a specified period of up to one year, indicate the blanket period "To" and "From" dates. "From" is the date the blanket period takes effect, and "To" is the date the blanket period expires.
If needed, you may make changes to the NAFTA Certificate of Origin during the shipment review process. To edit this form, click the form's Edit Form Contents button.
Once you've finished creating the shipment, you may print the NAFTA Certificate of Origin using the Print UPS International Forms button on the shipment confirmation screen, or using the Print International Forms link in Order Manager.
- Learn more about the NAFTA Certificate of Origin (UPS.com)
- Download a sample NAFTA Certificate of Origin form (UPS.com)
Thank you! Your feedback has successfully been submitted.
Please tell us why you didn't find this helpful.