Compose and format emails
New to Yahoo Mail? We have the basics, and some advanced formatting options, to get you started emailing your friends and family.
Compose an email
The info below will have you emailing like a pro in no time at all. Click a topic to learn more.
Click Compose from the Left Navigation column.
Here are the three main sections of an email.
The address field
- Used to add contacts to your outgoing email.
- Learn how to address an email.
- A brief summary of what your email is about.
- Keep the subject short and simple.
- Writing about a group meeting over lunch? You could say, "Lunch meeting."
- This is where you write and express your thoughts.
- You can write as little or as much as you want.
Your email is automatically saved as a draft while you're composing it, so you don't need to worry about losing its contents.
If you get interrupted and need to finish your email later, no problem. Here's how.
Editing and sending a saved draft
- Click Drafts in the Left Navigation column to access your automatically saved drafts.
- Click the draft email you want to update or send.
- Click Edit Draft.
- Make any additional changes to your draft.
- Click Send.
When you're ready to send your email, click Send.
Personalize the content you send.
- Send images, documents, and music to your contacts in just a few clicks.
- Learn how to attach files and photos.
The Rich Text formatting toolbar lets you change font, color, and style options for your text.
|Font: Contains options for font style and font size.|
|Bold: Changes highlighted text to bold.|
|Italic: Changes highlighted text to italic.|
|Text Color: Contains options for font color and color highlighting around the selected text.|
|Bullets and numbering: Creates bulleted or numbered lists.|
|Increase/decrease indent: Moves text to the left or right. Place the cursor where you would like to move the text and then click this button.|
|Align text: Changes text alignment of highlighted text. Choose from flush-left, centered, or flush-right.|
|Insert Link: Insert a hyperlink to a web site.|
|Emoticons: Click to add an emoticon.|
| Spell check: Click to activate spell check.
- Select the down arrow just to the right of this icon to spell check a specific language.
|Plain Text: Switch to Plain Text mode.|
Tip: You can also use keyboard shortcuts.
Yahoo Mail remembers the last rich text font you used to email someone and will keep that as your default font for the next email you compose.
You can; however, select the default font used in plain text mode.
Setting your default plain text font
- Mouse over the Settings menu icon | select Settings.
- Click Writing email.
- Select the font you want from the drop-down menus next to "Default plain text font."
- Click Save.
Thank you! Your feedback has successfully been submitted.
Please tell us why you didn't find this helpful.