Create a strong password
Using a strong password is the best and easiest way to make sure your account stays secure. Here are some tips to help you create a great one.
Strong passwords will...
The more varied your password is, the harder it is to guess. Use at least one number and one capital letter.
Longer passwords are more secure. For example, "Krfedso#1642" is stronger than "Abc12345".
Don't use personal information like your name, birthday, or passport ID number.
Examples: 12345678, 222222, abcdefg, or adjacent characters on your keyboard (QWERTY).
Otherwise, if someone acquires that one password, they could use it to access your accounts with other sites.
Additional password tips
- Keep it fresh - Change your password regularly; at least once a year. The more often, the better.
- Keep it secure - Keep a record of your passwords in a safe place.
- Don't share it - Never give out your password to anyone, not even friends.
- Don't recycle them - Create new, unique passwords. Never re-use one from the past.
- Use antivirus software - Equip your computer with antivirus software.
- Even if you have a secure password, a computer virus can allow someone to compromise it.
- Be careful - If you get an email asking you to change your password or provide any personal information, be cautious, even if it appears to come from a legitimate company.
- Type it in yourself - Rather than clicking a link in such an email, type the site's URL into your browser's address bar.
- Look for yahoo.com - Only type your sign-in information for Yahoo products into sites that end with "yahoo.com".
- Lock it - Many devices can be locked so that the only way to use them is to type in a code or password.
- Without a lock, lost or stolen devices can easily be used to access your personal information, make calls, or send texts that look like they're coming from you.
Tip: See our password requirements for more info on creating a strong password.
Thank you! Your feedback has successfully been submitted.
Please tell us why you didn't find this helpful.