Understand and create app passwords
Some 3rd party apps, such as iOS Mail, Android Mail, and Outlook, don't work with Yahoo's second sign-in verification. To use these apps, you'll need to generate an app-specific password.
- If you've turned on two-step verification and use another email app to access Yahoo Mail, you'll need to create an app password specifically for that app.
- If you don't use two-step verification or any 3rd party apps, you don't need to create app passwords.
- First activate second sign-in verification on your account to use App Passwords.
- From your Account Info page, click App Passwords.
- Under "Generate new application password," enter the name of the app that requires a password.
- Click Generate Password.
- Enter the code into the password field of your mobile device.
- Click Done when finished.
You're now connected!
We'll save a list of authorized apps within your "Generate app passwords" page. Also, from this page, you can create new or revoke current app passwords.
Good to know - If you lose your mobile device or stop using an app, remove access to the app. This way your Yahoo account can't be used from that device.
Watch our help video for more info
Thank you! Your feedback has successfully been submitted.
Please tell us why you didn't find this helpful.