Tips for creating a strong password
A strong password is your first line of defense against intruders and imposters. Here are some helpful tips on creating a secure password so you can make sure your information remains safe.
Create a strong password
- Use unique words - Don't use obvious words like "password".
- Have 12 or more characters - Longer passwords are more secure.
- Don't be obvious - Don't use personal information like your name, your Yahoo ID, birthday, etc.
- Avoid sequences or repeated characters - Don't use adjacent characters on your keyboard (QWERTY).
- Use a different password for each site - Otherwise, if someone acquires one password, they could use it to access all of your accounts.
Additional password tips
- Don't recycle them - Create new, unique passwords.
- Use antivirus software - Equip your computer with antivirus software.
- Don't share it - Never give out your password to anyone, not even friends.
- Keep it fresh - Change your password regularly. The more often, the better.
- Look for yahoo.com - Only type your login info for us into sites that end with "yahoo.com".
- Be cautious - If you're being asked to change your password, make sure it's a legitimate request.
- Type it out - Instead of clicking a link in an email, type the site's URL into your browser's address bar.