Secure your Yahoo account
Stop using a password
Use Yahoo Account Key to sign in more securely with your mobile phone without having to remember another password.
If you keep using a password
Two-Step Verification adds another level of security to your account. In addition to your usual password, it requires an extra security code (sent to your mobile phone or email address) when you sign in from an unfamiliar device or location. If strangers try to access your account, they can't get in even if they have your password.
Create a strong password to minimize the risk of unauthorized account access.
- Change your password regularly.
- Don't reuse your previous passwords.
- Use different passwords for different websites.
Third-party (non-Yahoo) apps that require a password don't work with Yahoo two-step verification: for example, iOS Mail, Android Mail, and Microsoft Outlook. If you want to get your Yahoo Mail in a third-party app, generate an app-specific password for it.
Follow safe online practices
In addition to using our tools to protect your account, you play a critical role in keeping it secure.
A current recovery email address and mobile phone number lets us confirm your identity. If you forget your password or get locked out of your account, we can send you a verification email or text message to get you back in.
- Keep your recovery email addresses and mobile numbers up-to-date. Remove any that you no longer use.
- Security questions are no longer used for verification. Delete them if they haven't been removed automatically.
If you sign in to your Yahoo account from a public computer, always sign out after each session to prevent access by the next user.
Periodically check the recent activity on your account for unfamiliar locations, apps, and devices. If you see a session that's not yours, sign it out and change your password.
Don't click links you're not sure about, even in messages from friends. Yahoo never asks you for account information via email. If an email has a link to Yahoo that asks for your password, close the window and sign in to https://login.yahoo.com directly.
- Install anti-virus software and apply security updates to avoid the installation of malicious software.
- Follow the account security guidelines posted by other services you use: for example, social networks, financial institutions, and other email providers.
The Safety Center has many more ways to protect your information and stay safe online.