Clear Yahoo Messenger cache in Windows
Caution: These steps apply to 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.
Are you seeing any of the following error messages? Clearing your Yahoo Messenger cache will fix these issues.
- "An error occurred while trying to access the 'SocialView' plug-in."
- "The last Address Book operation did not succeed due to a server error. (error code: -40402)"
- Your contacts can't see your avatar or display image - the picture appearing next to your name in message windows, or your contact list.
- You can't see your contacts' avatars or display images.
Getting an "Access is denied" error? Click Start | Select Programs | Accessories. Right-click Command Prompt | select Run as Administrator.
- In the Messenger window, click Messenger | select Sign out.
- Click Messenger | select Exit.
- Press Windows R.
-The "Command Prompt" window opens.
- Enter cmd.
- Click OK.
- Copy one line at a time from the list of command prompts below:
rd "%AppData%\Yahoo!\" /s /q
rd "%ProgramFiles%\Yahoo!\Messenger\Cache\" /s /q
rd "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Yahoo!\Messenger\Cache\" /s /q rd "%LocalAppData%\VirtualStore\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\Cache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Yahoo!\Messenger\Cache" /s /q
- After pasting each command, press Enter.
- Close the Command Prompt.
- Restart "Yahoo Messenger."
Thank you! Your feedback has successfully been submitted.
Please tell us why you didn't find this helpful.