Manage Yahoo Mail with Outlook or another email program
POP vs IMAP: There are two ways to access Yahoo Mail using email apps and programs; POP (Post Office Protocol) and IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol). Learn the differences between POP and IMAP and get the server settings for each.
Using programs like Microsoft Outlook, Thunderbird, or Apple Mail you can read your Yahoo Mail offline. You can write emails even when you're not connected to the internet and send them later when you're online.
If you want to forward your email instead, read how to forward your Yahoo Mail.
Set up your Yahoo Mail with POP
Using a mobile device? Read how to set up Yahoo Mail on a mobile device with POP or IMAP.
Before adding Yahoo Mail to a mail client, you'll need to enable POP in your Yahoo Mail settings.
- Sign in to Yahoo Mail.
- If you can't sign in, use the steps provided in our article about fixing sign in problems.
- Mouse over the Settings menu icon | select Settings.
- Click Accounts.
- Click on your Yahoo account.
- Under "Access your Yahoo Mail elsewhere," select POP.
- Pick how you want to handle spam emails:
- Don't download spam email - No spam is sent to the mail client.
- Download spam with no special indicators - Spam is sent to the mail client as-is.
- Download spam, but prefix the word "Bulk" - Spam is sent to the mail client and says "Bulk" in the subject.
- Click Save.
Once your account is POP-enabled, you can add Yahoo Mail to your mail client with our POP server settings.
Have a Business Mail account? See our "Business Mail POP and SMTP settings" help article for more info.
Thank you! Your feedback has successfully been submitted.
Please tell us why you didn't find this helpful.