Find missing emails in Yahoo Mail
It's frustrating when you can't find the email you're looking for in your inbox. Here are the primary reasons why your email might be hard to find and suggestions on how to handle each.
Emails are in an unexpected folder
Email filters and our spam filter can send incoming email to folders other than your Inbox.
- Search for them - Locate misplaced emails using our basic or advanced search options.
- Spam and Trash - These folders don't show in search results. Check them manually.
- Filters - Review your settings to see if filters are sending emails to another folder.
Emails were deleted by an app
If you access Yahoo Mail from an app on your mobile device or your computer, your settings or actions could have caused emails to be deleted from your account.
Some desktop email apps and most mobile email apps, like on iPhone and Android, use IMAP.
- Actions taken in these apps are mirrored in your Yahoo Mail account everywhere.
- Email deleted from the apps will be placed in your Trash folder.
- Deleting email from the Trash removes it from your account.
Desktop apps, like Outlook, Thunderbird, and Mac Mail, can access Yahoo Mail using POP.
- Copies of your email download to the app, so actions in the app won't affect your account.
- One POP setting, however, will delete email from your account when it's downloaded.
- To disable the "delete emails from server" option, contact your app manufacturer.
Someone else deleted your email
If you believe someone has accessed your account, change your password immediately.
Restore deleted email - Email deleted from the Trash within the last 7 days can be recovered.