Fix POP client sending and receiving issues
POP clients (like Outlook and Apple Mail) need a lot things to align perfectly in order for them to work with an email account. Use these steps to identify and fix the source of the problem.
Step 1: Check if your account works outside of the POP client
- From a computer, open a web browser.
- Log in to your Yahoo Mail account.
- Compose a new email and add your own address in the "To" field.
- Send the email and see if it arrives within 5 minutes.
You'll need to address any issues you encounter before you can use the account in a POP client.
Step 2: Make sure POP is turned on
If "Forwarding" is turned on, POP access will be disabled.
- Access Yahoo Mail in a computer's web browser.
- Mouse over the Settings icon | click Settings.
- Click Accounts | click your Yahoo Mail account.
- At the bottom, select POP and then click Save.
Step 3: Verify you're using the right POP settings
Check the settings in your POP client and verify they match with the Yahoo Mail POP settings. Contact the client's manufacturer if you need help.
Step 4: Make sure our ports are not being blocked
Firewalls, antivirus software, and network protocols have the ability to block ports. If any of our ports (995, 465, or 587) are blocked, the POP client can't connect to our servers. Check with your Internet Service Provider or your security software's manufacturer to learn how to check for and unblock ports.
Make sure you've verified any extra email addresses that you've added. Any unverified address can cause errors, such as a 553 error code, when sending from a POP client.
Follow the instructions you received at the extra address in order to complete the verification process.
Thank you! Your feedback has successfully been submitted.
Please tell us why you didn't find this helpful.