Filters in Yahoo Mail
You make the rules! Your Yahoo Mail filters determine where your incoming emails will be delivered.
On the go? Download the Yahoo Mail app for iOS and Android devices. It's the easy, convenient way to stay connected to your mail and more.
What are filters?
Filters tell incoming emails what folder they should be delivered to. They can reduce clutter in your Inbox and help keep you organized. You can even set up filters to direct unwanted emails to your Trash or Spam folder.
You can create up to 200 filters.
It's not possible to create filters in Basic Mail interface of Yahoo Mail, but don't worry. Filters created in the "Full featured" version of your mail are applied and active when using Basic Mail.
Watch our video and click a topic below to learn all about filters.
- Mouse over the Settings menu icon | select Settings.
- Click Filters.
Your Filters and their settings appear.
Once you've accessed your Filters settings:
- Click Add.
- Enter a Filter Name.
- Enter the filter criteria:
- Sender - The person who sent the email.
- Recipient - Your email address.
- Subject - Text held within the subject field of an email.
- Email body - Text held within the body of an email.
- Select a folder to deliver the affected emails in.
- You can also select New Folder to create a new one.
- Click Save.
- Click Save again to return to your emails.
New incoming messages that match your set criteria will now be delivered directly to your selected folder.
Important: A new filter only affects future emails you receive, not those that were previously in your account.
To change your existing filter settings, access your Filters, then:
- Click a filter name from your list.
- Click Edit.
- Make your changes and click Save.
- Click Save again to return to your email.
The order of your filters matters.
- Filters are prioritized from the top down.
- If two filters can apply to the same email, the top filter will be used.
- Move filters up or down by selecting the filter and clicking the up or down arrow.
If you don't need a filter anymore, just delete it. Access your Filters, then:
- Click a filter from your list.
- Click Remove.
- Click Save to return to your email.
Advanced filtering tips
If you're having trouble filtering certain messages, check out our tips.
When you have more than one criteria to apply to a filter, consider the following:
- A filter will use all of the rules you define to find mail to filter.
- If you want to filter all messages that either contain criteria A or criteria B, create two separate filters.
Important: A filter is never empty or blank.
If you create a new filter and don't fill in anything, it's still a live filter. Yahoo Mail interprets an "empty" filter to mean:
If sender contains [an empty (null) character]
then deliver to: Inbox
If an "empty" filter is at the top of the list, all of your messages will be sent to your Inbox, bypassing any other filters you may have.
If your incoming emails are being delivered to the wrong folder, there's generally a filter conflict.
- Avoid using negative criteria like "does not contain" combined with positive criteria like "begins with."
- Make sure there isn't a conflicting filter above a filter that isn't working.
Consider the following if you use a POP mail client to access Yahoo Mail:
- Mail clients using POP only download email from the Inbox and Spam folders.
- Filters to other folders will prevent your mail client from downloading them.
Thank you! Your feedback has successfully been submitted.
Please tell us why you didn't find this helpful.