Error messages when installing or downloading Yahoo Messenger
Getting errors when you're trying to download or install Yahoo Messenger? Not to worry, there’s an easy fix. You should be able to get around them with a little bit of troubleshooting.
First make sure that you've covered the basics:
- Be signed in as the administrator (or have administrative rights to the computer).
- Close all software programs running on your computer (including those running in the background) as they may disrupt the download process.
- Disable your antivirus or spyware protection as they may attempt to block the installation (reactivate them after you finish the download).
- Have 100 MB of free disk space (required for install).
- Make sure that your system meets the minimum requirements.
If you're still getting errors, your operating system likely needs to be updated with a patch from Microsoft.
- Visit the Windows Installer update website.
- Click Download.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to install the update.
For Windows XP: Also download and install the Microsoft XmlLite update.
- Reset your web browser configuration.
- Download and install Yahoo Messenger.
If the updates don't do the trick, you should be able to avoid further errors by running the installer using Compatibility Mode.
- Right-click the Yahoo Messenger install file, then click Properties.
- A "Properties" window opens.
- Click Compatibility.
- Select the checkbox for Run this program in compatibility mode.
- Using the drop-down menu, select your operating system.
- Select the checkbox for Run as Administrator.
- Click OK.
- Double-click the install file and follow the on-screen prompts to install Yahoo Messenger.
Common errors resolved using this troubleshooting
- "XmlLite.dll file is missing."
- "Cannot load resource DLL."
- "Not a valid Win32 application."
- "Your download has been interrupted. Please retry or cancel."
- "Installation unsuccessful."
- "Not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."
- "The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."
- "You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications."
- "The file 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Yahoo!\Updater\yupdater.exe' could not be opened. Please check that your disk is not full and that you have access to the destination directory. The system cannot find the path specified."
- "Yahoo Messenger did not correctly install. This may have been done due to other open aplications or incomplete installs. Please try the install again after restarting your computer."
- "Unable to download files needed for installation. Please check firewall settings and try again."