Autopick draft overview
When you're unable to draft players for yourself, our Autopick system will make intelligent choices for you.
How Autopick works
- Autopick is used when:
- The Autopick system first selects the highest rated available player that can fill one of the open starting positions on your roster.
- Once the starting positions are filled, Autopick determines the appropriate bench positions and fills them.
- All player selections are based first on your pre-rankings and then by the Yahoo Sports default rankings.
- Specific positions can't be designated to be selected in specific rounds of the draft. All autopicks are made based on your pre-ranking.
- Example: It isn't possible to tell our Autopick system to draft a shortstop in the 1st round, a relief pitcher in the 2nd round, etc...
- Regardless of your league type, it's always a good idea to pre-rank players in case you miss any part of the draft.
- If you sign up for a public Autopick league, you might end up being placed in a live draft league (including Auction Draft leagues) in need of managers. If this happens, your team is still auto-picked.
- Note: If you pre-rank your players, you won't be placed in an auction draft. If you are auto-drafting and you do not want to participate in an Auction draft, be sure to pre-rank you players.
- You can access the page for pre-ranking players from either:
- Your "My Team" page - click Roster, then click Pre-Draft Player Rankings.
- Your "Draft" Overview page - click Edit My Rankings next to "Pre-Draft Player Rankings."
- All starting positions are filled before any bench players are chosen.
- The system determines a maximum number of players to draft per position (starters plus bench) so that your roster doesn’t end up with too many players at any single position.
The Auction Draft format is specifically designed for live drafts. The "Autopick" functionality was added to make sure drafts are completed at their scheduled times.
The strategy involved in the Auction Draft format isn't Autopick friendly -- we must include limits on what we allow the system to bid for each player.
With these limits in place, it's difficult for a team drafting with Autopick to obtain top quality players because managers who are live drafting will typically outbid the hard maximum that's in place.