Overview of Waivers and Free Agents in Yahoo Fantasy
Waivers put temporary freezes on unclaimed players, giving everyone a chance to make a claim on them. If multiple claims are filed, the manager with the highest waiver priority gets the player. Unclaimed players not on waivers are Free Agents and anyone can add them without waiting.
Available waiver modes
In this mode, all unclaimed players are on waivers at all times. When a manager makes a claim to add a player, a clock starts, letting other managers have the chance to make a claim on the same player.
The default time period is 2 days, but the commish of a Private League can change this from 0-7 days.
Whenever a player is dropped, they'll be temporarily frozen for a period of time. The default time period is 2 days, but the commish of a Private league can change this from 0-7 days. During this time, all managers can make a claim to add the player.
If no one claims the player, the player become a Free Agent, which means anyone can add them to their team almost immediately, without competition from other managers.
If a manager adds a Free Agent and then drops them in the same day, the player remains a Free Agent.
Available waiver claim priorities
All managers are ranked from highest to lowest priority to determine who wins a waiver claim. The initial rank is determined by the league's draft. In Live or Autopick Drafts, the last draft position gets 1st rank and in Offline Drafts, the last to register gets 1st rank.
- When a claim is successful, that manager drops to the bottom of the priority list.
- You can view your waiver rank standings on the "League" page, in the "Waiver" column.
Each manager is given a budget that ranges between $1 (min) to $999,999,999 (max) to bid on unclaimed players that are in waivers. The default budget is $100, but the commish of a Private League can adjust the budget as they see fit.
- Bids are blind, so other managers can't see what your bid is.
- Your bid can range from $0 to the remainder of your budget.
- Highest bid at the end of the waiver period wins the player.
- The winning bid is removed from that manager's budget.
- Ties are broken by Continual Rolling List waiver priority.
Situational waiver tips and options
Since other managers can make waiver claims on players you want, you can increase your chances by making multiple "conditional" claims to add or drop players. The idea is that if 1 claim is voided for any reason, the next claim is processed and you can still have a favorable outcome.
Multiple claims to add 1 player:
- Waiver Claim 1 - Add Player C, drop Player A
- Waiver Claim 2 - Add Player D, drop Player A
- Waiver Claim 3 - Add Player D, drop Player B
If Waiver Claim 1 is successful, Waiver Claim 2 is voided because you no longer own Player A, but you still have a chance to get Player D because of Waiver Claim 3.
Multiple claims to drop 1 player for other players:
- Waiver Claim 1 - Add Player B, drop Player A
- Waiver Claim 2 - Add Player C, drop Player A
- Waiver Claim 3 - Add Player D, drop Player A
This way, even if someone else wins Player B or C, you can still drop Player A for Player D.
When the league's draft ends, you can have all unclaimed players be immediately available to add or have them go into waivers. You can only change this setting pre-draft (from the "Edit League Settings" page).