Yahoo password requirements
Having trouble changing your password? Here are some guidelines to make your password more resistant to hacking.
To keep your account safe, your password must follow the rules below:
- Must be 8 to 32 characters long.
- Can't be the same or similar to the password you used previously.
- Can't be a single character repeated.
- Can't contain your first or last name.
- Can't contain your Yahoo ID or be just your first or last name.
- Can't contain the word "password."
If the password you choose is one of the top most common or simple passwords, it'll be considered vulnerable to hackers.
"Your password is weak" - If you follow these guidelines and still get a message that says your password is weak or too easy to guess, add a number or symbol.
Protect your password
Using a public computer? Deselect "show password" to hide your password.
Make your password even stronger - Read our password tips and best practices.
Thank you! Your feedback has successfully been submitted.
Please tell us why you didn't find this helpful.