Recognize and secure a hacked Yahoo Mail account
Account security is important to think about. There are signs that suggest an account has been compromised and ways to make your Yahoo Mail more secure.
Signs your account has been hacked
- You're not receiving any emails.
- Your Yahoo Mail is sending spam to your contacts.
- Your account info or settings were changed without your knowledge.
- You see logins from unexpected locations on your recent activity page.
Secure your account
With Account Key, you get an extra layer of security by accepting a notification on the mobile device of your choice, rather than relying on a password.
Another option is the two-step verification, which sends you a notification when your account is accessed from an unrecognized device or location.
Secure your account so that only you have access.
- Use a strong password - Create with a password that's hard to guess.
- Secure your account - Change your password immediately.
- If you don't have access, use the Sign-in Helper to reset your password.
- Change your recovery info - Update your alternate email address and mobile number.
Check all of the following account settings to see if there are any changes you didn't configure. Access your settings from the Settings icon or in the top right corner of Yahoo Mail.
- Sending name
- Reply-to address
- Vacation response
- Blocked addresses