Managing Your Mailbox
Tips for selecting multiple messages:
To select multiple consecutive messages, select the first message in the series, hold down the Shift key and select the last message in the series.
To select multiple messages that aren’t consecutive, hold down the Ctrl key (Windows) or the Apple key (Mac) and select individual messages,
To select all messages in a folder, click the box at the top of the column of check boxes.
To move messages using drag-and-drop:
Open the folder with the emails you want to move. (Remind me how.)
Click the check box in front of each message that you want to move.
Drag and drop the selected message or messages onto the target folder.
To see the messages you moved, click the name of the target folder.
The relocated messages appear on the folder’s message list.
To move messages using the Move menu:
Open the folder containing the emails you want to move.
Click the check box in front of each message that you want to move to select it, or select multiple messages as described above.
From the move menu, select the name of the destination folder.
The messages move into the folder you selected.
There are some restrictions on moving messages into and out of the permanent folders.
- Drafts—You can’t move messages in or out of the Drafts folder. To save a message that you’re composing in this folder, click the Save Draft button. To remove a message from the Drafts folder, either send it or delete it.
- Conversations—You can’t move messages in or out of the Conversations folder.
- Sent—You can’t transfer messages out of the Sent folder, but you can transfer messages into this folder. Once you move a message out of the Sent folder, you can’t move it back in.
- Trash—To move a message into the Trash folder, delete the message or drag it to the Trash. If you delete a message by mistake, you can move it from of the Trash folder into another folder. To permanently remove all messages in the Trash folder, empty the trash.
- Spam—Although you can move a message into the Spam folder by dragging, the preferred way to get it there is to mark it as spam. This not only gets the message out of your Inbox, but it also helps train SpamGuard to recognize the junk email.
Words to Know
- Drag and drop: the ability to move an object from one place to another by placing the cursor over an object, pressing the left mouse button, dragging the selected object to another location, and releasing the mouse button.
- Folder: a container that holds individual elements specific to the context; for example, email messages in att.net Mail.
- Permanent folder: a mail folder that is automatically created in an att.net Mail account and can’t be deleted.
- Spam: unsolicited email on the Internet; also called "junk mail".
- Spam folder: a permanent folder that SpamGuard uses to hold messages it considers spam.