Introducing Yahoo! Messenger
Now that you’ve installed Yahoo! Messenger,
you’re ready to start using the collection of features that let you
communicate with your friends in a variety of ways. Follow the quick
start below to add contacts, invite friends, and start using Yahoo! Messenger to
communicate with anyone, anywhere in the world.
Personalise Yahoo! Messenger and let your friends see your
different personalities and moods using:
small character that shows someone how you feel during an instant message conversation.
Laughing , and many more.
types of display images.
Avatars are characters you can personalise and use when interacting
with friends online. By changing hairstyles, clothes, accessories,
and backgrounds, you can create your own unique persona.
characters that say things out loud. Send them to someone in an
IM conversation to say hello, goodbye, and more.
Customise Yahoo! Messenger to fit your needs through:
backgrounds you can select when talking to your friends. Choose
from many different IMVs in Yahoo! Messenger to express yourself.
- Alerts and Sounds—audio and visual alerts that occur for specified
events, such as when a contact comes or goes offline, or when an
instant message arrives.
- Skins—colour schemes
to use for your Messenger windows.
- Stealth Settings—settings that
allow you to appear online to some people and offline to others.
Note: Most of these personalisation and customisation features
are not available when you are conversing with one of your Windows Live™ Messenger contacts.
Add contacts to
your Messenger List.
Invite friends to join
you using Yahoo! Messenger.
Let friends know when
you’re free to talk.
Send an instant message to
Personalise your IM conversations.
Show your personality
Add a Pingbox™ to your personal
Web page so you can instant message visitors.
Personalise Yahoo! Messenger.
Keep up with your friends
through Yahoo! Updates.
Call a friend using the
Enjoy a video call with
your loved ones.
Protect your privacy.
Yahoo! Messenger provides a variety of ways to communicate with
your friends, family, and colleagues in real time. Add them as contacts
to your Messenger List and
start using Yahoo! Messenger’s many features.
Words to Know
- Audible: an animated character inserted in an instant message that says something out loud to your contact after you send your message, such as "Welcome" or "Dude!"
- Avatar: a character that you can use when interacting with friends online. By changing hairstyles, clothes, accessories, and backgrounds, you can create your own unique persona.
- Contact: a person with whom you interact; someone to whom you might want to send an email or instant message.
- Display image: a picture or Avatar that represents you in some way and that you share with your contacts during IM conversations.
- Emoticon: a small character that shows someone how you feel during an IM conversation, such as happy, sad, or laughing.
- IMVironment (IMV): a themed environment that you can select when instant messaging your friends. Potentially, both you and your friends see the IMV during your conversation.
- Instant messaging: the ability to exchange messages in real time with other people over the Internet.
- Messenger List: the main part of the Contact List in Yahoo! Messenger. The Messenger List includes the contacts with whom you communicate most often.
- Skin: a selection that controls the overall look of the Yahoo! Messenger windows.
- Stealth setting: a setting that allows you to choose when specific contacts see you as online or offline.
- Windows Live™ Messenger: Microsoft® Windows’ free instant messaging application.