Why do I get an "Invalid Password" error?
We find there are typically three causes of an "Invalid Password" message or password failure:
- An incorrectly entered password.
- Is CAPS LOCK on? Passwords are case-sensitive, which means that "PASSWORD", "PaSsWoRd", and "password" are seen as three different passwords. Try typing your password again, making sure to use uppercase and lowercase letters where necessary.
- Is the Yahoo ID correct? Make sure that you are using the correct Yahoo ID when signing in to your account. Can't remember your Yahoo ID?
- Has the password changed within the last 24 hours? If you recently requested a new password or changed your password, wait 24 hours before typing your new password. If you’ve entered your password too many times, you’ll be locked out of your account for 24 hours. This is a Yahoo security feature designed to protect your account.
- Issues with the Internet Browser.
- Have you cleared the browser cache? Cached information can sometimes interfere with browser functions. Clear the browser’s cache, close your browser, open a new browser window, then go to the Yahoo Sign In page, and carefully type your password again.
- Have you tried a different browser? If you’re using Firefox, try Internet Explorer instead. If you're using Internet Explorer, try Firefox.
- A compromised account.
- Think your account may have been compromised? If you feel your account may have been compromised, please follow our online password recovery process.