Reinstalling video drivers on Windows XP
For optimal performance of Yahoo Messenger, always use the most recent version of your video driver. Uninstalling an outdated video driver and reinstalling the latest driver has been known to resolve multiple issues.
Step 1: Download and Install the DirectX Runtime Web Installer by clicking on the link below:
Step 2: Determine your graphics card manufacturer:
- On your keyboard, hold down the Windows + R key. This opens the Run command.
- Type in dxdiag | OK. This opens the DirectX diagnostic tool.
- At the top of the window, select the first Display tab.
- Under Device, make a note of the Name field. This should tell you the make and model of your graphics card.
Step 3: Download the latest video driver for your type of video card:
Download the driver installer, but do not run it yet. Just save the driver to your Desktop for now. If your driver is not listed above please obtain the most recent driver from the manufacturer's website.
Step 4: Uninstall the video driver:
- On your keyboard, hold down the Windows + R key.
- Type in appwiz.cpl | OK. This opens Add or Remove Programs.
- Select your video driver in the list of programs. It will usually start with the manufacturer name (e.g., ATI, NVIDIA, or Intel).
- When uninstall is complete, restart your computer.
Step 5: Reinstall the video driver:
- Run the video driver file you downloaded earlier.
- After installing the new video driver, restart your computer.