Search for messages in Yahoo Mail
- Locate the search field at the top of Yahoo Mail.
- Enter your search criteria.
- Such as a contact's name, part of the subject, or text from the email.
- Click Search Mail.
All messages matching your search terms appear in the search results.
Did you know? Searches are not case-sensitive. Searching for "abc" is the same as searching for "ABC."
Use the Search results column to refine your search results with filters.
- Sender - Filter by who sent the email.
- Attachments - Filter by attachment type.
- Date - Filter by year.
- Folder - Filter which folder the email is saved in.
- Status - Filter by unread, replied, starred, or forwarded.
Good to know: Click the X beside an applied filter to expand your search results.
Yahoo Mail keeps a history of your last 50 searches.
- Up to 5 previous searches are displayed when performing a search.
- Click on a previous search result to perform that search.
Good to know: It's not possible to disable or clear the search history.
Once your results are displayed, you can easily send emails to the Trash.
- Select the messages you want to delete.
- Click Delete.
The emails are moved to the Trash and marked with a strike-through.
Good to know: To remove delete mail from your search results, delete the message from the Trash.
- Enter your search criteria in the search field.
- A drop-down list appears with "People" and "Recent" search results.
- Click Advanced search.
- Enter your criteria in the following fields:
- From - Email address or name of a sender.
- To - Email address or name of an intended recipient, including yourself.
- Subject - Words or phrases within an email's subject line.
- Contains - Words or phrases within an email's body.
- Date - Anytime, Last 7 days, Last 30 days, or a custom date.
- Folders - Select from Yahoo Mail folders like Inbox and Sent, or from a folder you've made.
- Type - All, Unread, Starred, or a category like Shopping.
- Has attachment - Email contains an attachment like a .doc .pdf file.
- Has image - Email contains an image.
- Click Search Mail.
- Your search results appear and can be refined.
- See Refine your results in this help article.
- Click an email from your search results to view it.
Organize your results: In your search results, click View then Sort by: Sender, Subject, Date, or Attachments.