Messenger in Yahoo Mail
Sending an instant message (IM) is a fast and easy way to communicate with your online contacts.
Click Messenger in the Left Navigation column.
Important: If Messenger is missing, you're in Yahoo Mail Basic Mail. See our help article about switching to full-featured mode to fix this.
To sign in, change your status from Offline.
- Click the Offline drop-down menu.
- Select an availability status:
- Available - You're online and ready to chat.
- Busy - You're online, but don't want to be contacted.
- Invisible - Be stealthy and appear offline, even though you're not.
- Custom Status - Use a custom message to show you're available.
- Sign Out of Messenger - Go offline.
Once online, browse your list of online contacts to chat with someone.
- Click on a contact's name.
- A chat window opens.
- Compose your message and press Enter.
- Your message will appear in the window.
Did you know? You can add emoticons or change the font styling of your text by clicking the appropriate icon.
For more information, check out our help video.
New instant messages are indicated with a number beside "Messenger" in the Left Navigation column.
- Click Messenger to display the new chat message.
- If the sender isn't on your contacts list, just click Add Contact to add them.
Customize your Messenger experience.
Find the options that make Messenger your own!
Access your options by clicking Messenger Settings in the availability status drop-down menu.
- Sign Out - Select when and where you sign out of Messenger.
- Sound Alerts - Choose if a sound plays when you get a new IM.
- Visible Contacts - Display only online contacts that added you to their Messenger list.
- Block Users - Block contacts from sending you IMs.
- Conversation History - Decide if you want to keep a record of your IMs.
Keep a record of your instant messages so that you can review them anytime you want.
- Enable or disable - Select your preference in Messenger Settings (see above).
- View saved IMs - Click Conversation History in the availability status drop-down menu.
- Delete saved IMs - Select an IM and click Delete.
- Filter saved IMs - Click on a "Refined by" filter in the left panel.
Keep Messenger on top while you use other Yahoo Mail features.
- Click the Maximize icon to expand Messenger into a floating, constant window.
- Newly received IMs appear in a new tab within the message window.
Stay in touch with only the people you want to.
Block individuals or all non-contacts from sending you IMs.
- Click Messenger Settings from the availability status drop-down menu.
- Select a blocking option:
- Block all users not in my Contact List - Only receive IMs from your contacts.
- Block users in the Block list below - Block specific contacts.
Block someone from sending you IMs immediately by clicking Block User.
- Blocking a contact adds them to your blocked list.
- Click Unblock User if you want to undo this.
Report someone sending you abusive IMs by clicking Report Abuse.
- Report Spam - Block the contact and report them as sending spam.
- Report Threats or Harassment - Block the contact and send us a transcript for further investigation.
Use the Invisible availability status to stay hidden, but see and chat with the contacts you want.
- When you're invisible, you'll appear "Offline" to everyone.
- You can still send and receive messages from online contacts.