Self Serve Customers
To self-categorize your products, you must complete the "yahoo-shopping-category" field for each product in your feed. The values in this field must be valid Yahoo Shopping categories for each of your products. Once you have completed the "yahoo-shopping-category" field for each product in your feed, select the "Self-categorized" option on the "Categorization Method" page (accessible from your "My Account" page).
To view more details on self-categorization and the "yahoo-shopping-category" field, sign in to your Product Submit account and go to the "My Account" section. Under "Categorization Method," click the "Edit" button.
Merchant Solutions Customers
To self-categorize your products, you must fill out the "yahoo-shopping-category" field in your Catalog Manager for each of your products.
To add the "yahoo-shopping-category" field:
- Go to the "Manage Your Tables" page of your Store Manager.
- Select the table of items you want to include in Yahoo Shopping. This will take you to the "Edit Table" page.
- Locate the "Shopping Fields" and click "Edit."
- Add the "yahoo-shopping-category" field from the drop down menu.
- Click "Update" and then "Save."
To fill out the "yahoo-shopping-category" field:
- Go to the "Manage Your Items" page and click on an item.
- Locate the "yahoo-shopping-category" field and fill in the appropriate Yahoo Shopping category for that product.
- Repeat Step 2 for all of the products you want to include in Yahoo Shopping.
- Publish your Catalog.
Note 1: Make sure you have selected the "Self-categorized" option on the "Re-categorize Products" page within Yahoo Product Submit. You must publish your Catalog Manager in order for Yahoo Product Submit to process your categorization.
Note 2: If you self-categorized your products in the past, you may have used the (now defunct) "yshopping-category" field. Review the differences between "yshopping-category" and "yahoo-shopping-category."
Yahoo Store Customers
To self-categorize your products, you must use the YPATH field.
- Select the department, or Yahoo Shopping category, that best describes your products. See the list of Yahoo Shopping categories and their definitions.
- In the YPATH field, enter the field name, a colon, and then the Yahoo Shopping category. Make sure to use this format:
Note: there is no space between "dept:" and "department."
- The Yahoo Shopping category should be written exactly as it appears in Yahoo's list, including the placement of commas and less-than signs.
For example: For a clothing product, the YPATH field should read:
dept:Apparel > Baby Clothing
Please keep the following in mind:
- Yahoo reserves the right to review any and all self-categorizations, and make categorization changes to your products at any time.
- There should be no spaces in the YPATH field with exception of spaces within category names. Additional spaces in the YPATH field may result in incorrect categorization or cause categorization to fail.
- If you build your store manually, you can edit this field in your Store Editor by overriding the YPATH variable for each item page.
- If you include the YPATH field in your CSV file, remember to add the field title "YPATH" to the first line of your file.
Please note that at this time, self categorization is not available for ProStores advertisers.