The Shipping Wizard helps merchants not open for business or with no shipping rules quickly set up methods and simplified rates for their store.
To set up shipping rates in the Shipping Wizard:
- From the Open for Business control panel, click Set up Shipping.
- Click Start Shipping Wizard.
- Select an option for setting up rates and click Next:
- Calculate Rates Automatically using UPS Real-time Rates: This option is recommended as you can offer UPS Shipping methods and your rates will be calculated automatically by UPS. You will also have the ability to use integrated UPS functionality to ship orders, print labels, and automatically insert tracking numbers for orders.
If you select this option, you will enter the UPS registration process. You will select a store, enter your registration information, read and accept the UPS agreement, and view the confirmation page. After completing the registration, you will return to the Shipping Wizard. Note: You can define any carrier method you wish to offer in the Configure Methods page, including adding handling charges or a free shipping method.
- Manually Enter Rates: select this option if you wish to manually define rates for methods not using real-time rates. You can use rate information you may already have or you can go to any carrier site to get rate information to enter.
- I'm not sure: select this option if you are unsure how you wish to calculate your shipping rates.
- Select a shipping method that you wish to offer to buyers and click add a rate (see figure 1).
Figure 1: When you select a method, you will see a link to add a rate. Once a rate has been added, the link will change to "edit" (see figure 2). Note: You must set up a rate for each method you have selected to complete the wizard. If you do not wish to create a rate, you will need to enter a $0 charge for the rate, or deselect the method.
Figure 2: After you add a rate for a method, you can always edit the rate by clicking the edit link.
- Define a rate for methods you wish to offer to buyers in checkout:
- Flat rate: select this option to set a rate per order, per item, and or per pound (see figure 3).
- Rate Table: select this option to define a rate table which will apply a charge based on ranges of order amount, number of items, or weight (see figure 4).
- UPS Real-time Rates: This option only appears for official UPS Shipping methods. Select this option to use UPS rates that are calculated in real-time during checkout based on the merchant location, the shipping weight, and the shipping address. (see figure 5)
If you registered for UPS, you will see UPS Ground selected when you enter the Configure Methods page. If you choose to manually enter rates, you will see Ground selected as the default method, You can deselect either method or add a rate for either method.
- Click Submit when done defining the rate.
- Repeat these steps for any additional methods you wish to offer or click Next when done selecting methods and defining rates. Note: You cannot proceed in the Shipping Wizard with selected methods that do not have a rate defined. If you wish to offer methods to buyers with no shipping rate, enter $0 for the rate charge.
- Review your methods and rates and click Finish.
Figure 3: The Edit Rate box when flat rate option is selected. You can decide to add costs per order, per item, or per pound. Note: If you base shipping charges on weight, you will need to go to the Catalog Manager or Store Editor to add product weights to each item. This can be done after opening for business if you wish.
Figure 4: The Edit Rate box when the rate table option is selected. You can decide to add costs based on ranges of the order total, the total weight, or item count. Note: If you base shipping charges on weight, you will need to go to the Catalog Manager or Store Editor to add product weights to each item. This can be done after opening for business if you wish.
Figure 5: The Edit Rate box when the UPS Real-time Rates option is selected and you are registered to use integrated UPS functionality. You do need to be registered for integrated UPS functionality, and if you are not, you will see different text than shown above which includes a link to register. Note: If you select this option, you will need to go to the Catalog Manager or Store Editor to add product weights to each item. This can be done after opening for business if you wish.
The Open for Business control panel will only show the shipping task as complete when you have set up at least one method and rate. If you do not wish to charge for shipping, you can set up a free shipping method as the only method in your store. The Free Shipping Method is listed under General Methods.