Often times, buyers may not know how to input data in a valid format. For example, your site may display a phone field where the required format is only numbers and spaces (408 555 1212). The buyer may try entering their information in various other formats (408.555.1212, 408-555-1212). While you can choose to not set field validation rules so that any format will be acceptable, you may need to accept information in a certain format if you are processing the information through a third party system for order management or other purposes.
Figure 1: Two examples of field help text added to custom fields. The first example (at left) informs shoppers how to select multiple catalogs. The second example (at right) informs shoppers, who may be wary of receiving unwanted email, that they can opt-out of the mailing list at any time.
In cases where you have set field validation, Checkout & Registration Manager also allows you to provide field help text to guide buyers as to the acceptable formats.
To add customized help text for fields:
- From the Checkout & Registration Manager main page, click the "Page Configuration" link.
- Click the tab of the page where you wish to add help text.
- Select the field to which you wish to add help text from the "Manage Sections and Fields" section and click "Edit".
- Click the "Next" button.
- Enter or paste the help text you wish to display with the field. For example:
- Email: Please enter a valid email address.
- Number: Please enter a valid number.
- Number range: Please enter a valid number range between X and Y.
- Click "Save" when finished or click "Preview" to save and view your changes.
- Return to the Store Manager and publish your changes when ready.