Until recently, if you wanted to set up a disposable email address, it was necessary to shift to Yahoo Mail Classic to create the new address. Effective in April 2010, you will now be able to create this within New Yahoo Mail.
It can be done as follows:
- Sign in to Yahoo Mail
- Click the gear icon in the upper-right corner of the window, and select Mail Options from the menu that appears. The Options menu appears in a new tab.
- In the menu on the right, click Disposable Email Addresses
- Click Add Address at the top of the window
- You will be asked for a base name for the address. It cannot be the same as your existing Yahoo ID. Click Next
- You will be then offered a choice of e-mail addresses and settings. Please set your preferences as you wish. Click Next
- You will then have a listing of your e-mail addresses
Emails will be sent to your regular e-mail address. A filter can then be easily applied to direct them into a spam folder. (Or any other folder)
If you wish to send e-mails from your disposable e-mail address, you can select it from the From menu.
There are a couple of changes in this feature also:
Spam Guard will have the same settings as your regular email account. In the past, you could decide to turn Spam Guard either on or off with each disposable e-mail account. Now, it will inherit the same settings as your regular email account.
Email Filters are also being simplified. You will no longer need to set separate filters for each e-mail address. You can now set them to your regular e-mail account and they will apply to whatever comes into your inbox. You CAN, however set them to move any emails that come to a recipient that contains your new disposable e-mail address and direct those to any folder you wish.