POP Verizon Yahoo! Mail with Microsoft Outlook Express
Do you want to read and send your Verizon Yahoo! email with Outlook Express? If you are a Verizon Yahoo! Mail user you can. Here’s how to set up Outlook Express to read and send Verizon Yahoo! Mail:
- From the Tools menu, select Accounts.
- Select the Mail tab. Click Add > Mail. This starts the Internet Connection Wizard.
- In the Internet Connection Wizard, type your name as want it to appear when you send an email message, and then click Next.
- In the E-Mail address box, type your Verizon Yahoo! Mail email address (for example, email@example.com), and then click Next.
- In the E-Mail Server Names fields:
- My Incoming mail server is a: Select POP3 from the pull-down menu.
- Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP, or HTTP) server: Type plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com.
- Outgoing mail (SMTP) server:[/b] Type plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com.
- In the Internet Mail Logon fields:
Click Next. A screen appears telling you that you have successfully entered the information needed to set up your account.
- Account Name: Type your Yahoo! ID (your email address without the "@yahoo.com").
- Password: Type your Verizon Yahoo! password.
- Select the Remember Password checkbox if you don't want Outlook Express to prompt you for your password each time you check your mail.
- Do not select the Log on using Secure checkbox.
- Click Finish to save your account and exit the wizard.
- The Verizon Yahoo! Mail outgoing mail server requires authentication. To turn this on, under Account, select plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com and then click Properties. A properties dialog box for the account appears.
- Click the Servers tab. Under Outgoing Mail Server, select the My server requires authentication checkbox.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Under Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP), select the This server requires a secure connection (SSL) checkbox.
- In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) field, type 465 for the port number.
- Under Incoming mail (POP3), select the This server requires a secure connection (SSL) checkbox. The port number in the Incoming mail (POP3) field usually changes automatically from 110 to 995. If it doesn’t, type 995 for the port number.
- Click OK to save your settings.
- Click Close to close the Internet Accounts dialog box.
You are now set up to send and receive Verizon Yahoo! Mail using Outlook Express.
If you still can’t send Verizon Yahoo! Mail from Outlook Express, you might be accessing the Internet through an ISP that is blocking the SMTP port. If this is the case, try using port 587 when sending email via Verizon Yahoo!'s SMTP server. To change the port to 587:
- From the Tools menu, select Accounts. The Internet Accounts dialog box appears.
- Click Mail, select plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com, and then click Properties.
- Click the Advanced tab. In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) box, type 587.
- Click Apply, and then click OK to close the Internet E-mail Settings dialog box.
- Click Close to close the Account Settings dialog box.
Note: You must be a Verizon Yahoo! Mail user to read Verizon Yahoo! Mail in an email reader program such as Microsoft Outlook. Click here for information about subscribing to Verizon Yahoo! Mail.
Internet Service Provider, the service providing access to the Internet.
A software connection computers use to exchange data directly.
Did Help answer your question?