You reach the settings pages for Frontier Yahoo Mail by clicking Options | Mail Options at the top of the page. A page of general options opens with a side menu.
Mark message as read
Do you need to make sure you have read the messages you get? Use the Never setting. This will leave messages you get unread until you read them or mark them yourself as read. Otherwise, messages change from unread to read when you get them according to one of these settings: Immediately, After 2 seconds, and After 5 seconds. These settings allow for your scan your Inbox as messages arrive there. For example, we show the subject of a message from Yahoo in a bold typeface in the Inbox when it arrives, highlighting the newness of the message, and five seconds later the bold typefaces changes to a normal typeface, matching the other read messages in the list.
- You can select Show a signature on all outgoing messages to enable the signature. Select Do not use a signature if you want to turn your signature off – or you can simply delete it manually from messages in which you would rather not show it.
- On the far right of the message window, above the text area, click either Plain Text or Rich Text. Plain Text shows just letters. Rich Text enables color, font, size and style choices that you select from the bar of formatting buttons.
- Next, add or change your signature by typing in the text area.
- At the top of the page, click Save Changes.
Your signature will now appear at the bottom of any message you compose.
Note: For a Rich Text signature to appear in Rich Text, you must compose your message in Rich Text. Make that selection by clicking the Rich Text link in the Compose window, to the right of the Subject box.
Using Internet Explorer you can add an image to your message signature by following the steps below:
Note: The image must be on the web and cannot be on your computer.
- Locate the image you want to display on your signature.
- Right-click your mouse on the image and select Copy, from the menu that appears, or press Ctrl + C
- Log into your Yahoo Mail account.
- Click Options located towards the upper right of the page.
- Click More Options.
- Select Signature from the panel on the left.
- If your signature setting shows "Plain text", then please change it to "Rich Text" by clicking on the Rich Text link.
- Select Show a signature on all outgoing messages.
- Place the cursor where you would like the image.
- Paste your copied image by right clicking and choosing Paste or by pressing Ctrl + V.
- Click on Save Changes at the top of the page.
Note: Technical limitations or copyright restrictions on the page might prevent you from copying some web images.
Not familiar with the term spam? It means unwanted and annoyingly repeated messages. A feature called SpamGuard continuously checks for these repetitions across the system, so it has a fair idea of messages of this kind.
When you select Automatically send suspected spam to my Spam folder and save this setting, SpamGuard diverts spam it detects. SpamGuard diverts the spam messages into the Spam folder.
To open this folder, click the first or second tab in Frontier Yahoo Mail, and click Spam in the side list. Every now and then – although rarely – SpamGuard guards too well and puts a genuine message into the Spam folder. If you see that this has happened, click the message and click Not Spam at the top of the list.
As needed, select a more frequent option from Empty Spam folder. You can choose once a month, every two weeks, once a week, or immediately.
When you select Show images only from my contacts and save this change, we make sure to block any image in the message content when the message comes from someone not in your contacts. This helps to ensure that you will not be exposed to abusive images. To be completely careful, select Initially block all images and save this change.
Are you getting unwanted messages from a particular address or domain? OK. Block it. You can block up to 500 of these addresses and domains.
When Frontier Yahoo Mail detect incoming messages from addresses and domains you have blocked, it deletes the message and without any reply to the sender.
Here's how to add a block to an address or domain:
- In the space labeled Add a blocked address, type the address or domain from which you do not want to receive messages.
- Click Add.
- The address or domain now appears on your list of blocked addresses.
- Click Save Changes.
Frontier Yahoo Mail offers up to 500 blocked addresses. You can see how many are in use beside the list – for example, 4 of 500 used.
If you find you want messages from a previously blocked address or domain, you can remove the blocking to receive messages from there again.
To remove the blocking for an address:
- Click the address in the list under Blocked Email Addresses.
- Click Remove.
- Click Save Changes.
Although this blocks an address that will probably not change, this does not deal well with spam because spam senders constantly change the address they send from. Instead, rely on the SpamGuard settings in this section.
Filters move incoming messages into folders. You can create your own folders for a filter to move messages to.
- Click Add Filter.
- Type a name for the filter.
- Change the sender, recipient, subject, and body settings as needed to make Frontier Yahoo Mail examine an incoming message.
- Select an option for Move to folder.
- Click Save Changes.
Here are explanations for some of the options in Move to folder.
- Use [New folder] for convenience as you create a filter. When you save a filter with this option, a box appears where you can type the name of the new folder.
- Use Spam for unwanted, repetitive messages.
- Use Conversations for chat messages, although the filter can move messages there too.
- Use Trash as the first step to deleting the message.
When you create an account item in this page, the settings you provide help you to use Frontier Yahoo Mail to read and work with messages you have in other accounts.
First, you can add an account so that messages can start from Frontier Yahoo Mail and go through another account. No matter the purpose, a message you create and send can use these settings and not the normal settings in your account on Frontier Yahoo Mail.
- Click Add Account.
- Type in a name for the Account.
- Do not click Set as default sending account yet. You will have to verify the information you are setting up first.
- Type in the following information for Sending Mail.
- Your 'From' name: Use your name or a special name that signals to you that the message has come through these special settings.
- Email address: Use the full address of the account on the service you want to use — for example, email@example.com.
Next, you can set how Frontier Yahoo Mail handles messages sent to an address, either to firstname.lastname@example.org or to another address in some other account. These settings help you use an email application — for example, Microsoft Outlook — to read and work with the messages you have in Frontier Yahoo Mail.
- Click or type in the following information for Receiving Mail
- Deliver incoming messages to: Select Inbox, Conversations, Sent, Trash, or folders you create
- Username: fulladdress
- Password: The password of the mail account.
- Server: The name of the services Post Office Protocol server — for example, pop.fromstep4.com.
- Advanced options are miscellaneous settings. Some of these are documented by the service that runs the server. Consult the service for these settings.
- Use SSL: Use a secure socket layer in the POP activity. Consult the service for this setting.
- Use Filters: Enable filters you have set up to be used.
- Override default POP port: The number of the port the service uses for Post Office Protocol activity. Consult the service for this setting.
- Retrieve new messages only: Avoid pulling a message multiple times from the service with this setting.
- Leave mail on POP server: Preserve messages in the service. Recommended.
You can add a number of these account setting sets to enable you to work with all your mail accounts through Frontier Yahoo Mail. The account setting sets make Frontier Yahoo Mail an efficient central point for receiving and sending the many mail accounts you might have.
This setting switches how Frontier Yahoo Mail handles incoming messages.
Allow your Frontier Yahoo Mail to be POPed
Generally, leave this option selected. If you have set up Post Office Protocol for retrieving messages, click Allow your Frontier Yahoo Mail to be POPed. These settings are described here.
Not familiar with the term spam? It means unwanted and annoyingly repeated messages. A feature called SpamGuard continuously checks for these repetitions across the system, so it has a fair idea of messages of this kind. In this context, Frontier Yahoo Mail handles the messages SpamGuard detects in one of three ways.
- Select Don't download spam email to keep spam in SpamGuard.
- Select Download spam with no special indicators to get spam messages when you retrieve them though POP
- Select Download spam, but prefix the word "Spam" to get spam messages marked in the subject when you retrieve them though POP
Forward your Frontier Yahoo Mail
Click Forward your Frontier Yahoo Mail to make Frontier Yahoo Mail send incoming messages immediately to the address you type into Forward mail to the following address.
You can type in a message explaining the reason you are not replying. Your vacation response will instantly reply to anyone who sends you a message.
- Check Enable auto-response during your vacation.
- Select start and end dates for your trip.
- Enter the day your vacation will start in the "Auto-respond from" field and the day it will end in the "up until (and including)" field.
- Enter a Generic Response. It can be up to ten lines.
- When you are finished writing your Generic Response, click Save Changes located near the upper-left corner of the page.
Note: You can choose to send a special response to specific individuals by entering text in the "Special Response" field. Then you must enter the domain names you would like to send this response to. For example, yahoo.com.
You can preview your Vacation Response and Special Response by selecting Send a sample copy of this message to my Inbox.
When you're using the Vacation Response, anyone who writes to you while you're away will receive only one Vacation Response, no matter how many times they write. However, when you return from your vacation and want to turn off the Vacation Response option, simply go back to the Vacation Response page and check the Enable auto-response during your vacation box.
Click Mail for Mobile to reach a site where you can find out more about Frontier Yahoo Mail for many mobile phones and other kinds of mobile devices.