All Yahoo! users should create a Yahoo! ID — a unique username that provides access to the many useful and fun products that Yahoo! offers. Even your child will need an ID. When you sit down to choose one together, have fun and be creative.
Don't worry if your child's ID is an inside joke between the two of you. That's fine. Remember, this is one way that the Yahoo! online community will be able to identify your child; let them wonder. You don't want strangers to know too much about your child just from reading their ID.
Online IDs do tend to communicate something about the person behind them, so be certain of what you are willing to share. For example, the name "Butterflyfan" communicates that this user is apparently fond of butterflies. Fine. There is little risk of someone being able to distinguish one fan of butterflies from the millions of others who exist in the world. On the other hand, the name "Butterflies4Jane" goes a little further. It provides someone with a name - both a conversation starter and a misguided sense of familiarity.
When you and your child sit down to brainstorm his or her new online ID, leave out the following personal information:
- First and last name
- Phone number
- School name
- Parent and sibling names
On the other hand it's fine to make up a name that includes the following favourites:
- Colours (ex: Blueskies, GreenFrogg, YellowFellow).
- Animals (KingLizard, Elephantastic, HorseJumper).
- School mascots or colours (Highlander1, Sharks4ever, RednBlueWinner!).
- Music groups (SpiceGirlsFan, OtherSpiceGirlsFan, AlsoSpiceGirlsFan, AnybodyLikeSpiceGirlsLikeMe)
- Holiday spots (Centerparcs, Beachbum, DisneyFan, Mountaineer).
- Sports or sports team (Ftballer, HockeeFreek, Soccerdude).
- Hobbies (ChessKing, ChessQueen, StampStamp, FlyaKite).
- Games, video and others! (MasterBlaster, Obi, Hobbitfun, LaserGuider).
Whatever you choose, remember that your role is to guide your child as he/she finds a name they are happy with - one that is suitable, not too revealing, and (most important) fun.