- Saving.You can make any edits you want to the current portfolio. They will be automatically saved, except for changes to the stock order. You can save the current stock order of a portfolio by using the "Save Portfolio Stock Order" selection (in the File menu). Once saved, any changes are immediately viewable (including from the classic portfolio page).
- Entering user values. Any value in yellow can be clicked on and edited. Make a change (or new entry) and when you are finished, you can either hit enter/return or click on another cell or button to save the edit within the table. Any values derived from the user-supplied ones will be immediately updated to reflect the change.
If the format entered for a user value is wrong (eg. letters are entered where numbers are expected), the input will not be accepted. Instead, the previous value will be kept. Dates can be entered in the following formats: "3/6/97", "3-6-97", or "6-mar-97". Four digit years can also be used (e.g. "3/6/1997", "3-6-1997", or "6-mar-1997").
- Changing the order of symbols (moving rows). Rows, like columns, can be "dragged and dropped" to the location you want them in. Just click on the symbol to be moved, and while keeping the mouse button pressed, drag to a gap between two other symbols. As you are dragging, the cursor changes to one with arrows pointing in four directions to indicate you are moving the row. Finally release the mouse button, and the whole row will be moved to the new location.
- Drag and Drop hints: When moving a row, you can just drag it to the gap between two rows. You don't need to be exact - anywhere near the gap is fine. To move to the first row, just release the mouse button on the first row symbol, near the gap above it (but don't land on the cell labeled "Symbol"). To move a row to be the last row, just release the mouse button in the empty space below the last row's symbol, or on the bottom part of the last symbol.
In a similar way, you can use drag and drop to change the order of columns.
- Removing a stock from the portfolio (deleting a row). Drag the symbol to the trash icon on the top right of the applet. The row will be removed. Any user-entered values for that stock will be discarded. Use caution - once deleted, a row can not be automatically recovered. If you wish to restore a row that's been deleted, you must re-enter all the data.
- Adding a symbol to the portfolio (creating a new row). Type a valid ticker symbol into the Add Symbol box, then either hit enter/return or click the Add Symbol button. As in classic portfolios, a symbol can appear more than onceto represent different trades. Once you've added the symbol, you can optionally fill in user-defined fields (those shown in yellow).
Note: the appearance (or not) of user defined fields in the portfolio manager depends on the view you have selected. For example, "Day Watch", by default, has no columns for user values, but "Performance" does. There is a special view labelled "Enter Info View" which includes all user-defined values. This is described below under Creating A Portfolio or View. You can switch to this view any time you'd like to view or edit all the user defined values (number of shares, purchase date, purchase price, etc.) However, anytime a user defined value appears in any view, you can edit it. You do not need to be in the "Enter Info View" to add values, it is merely a convenient alternative to editing fields one at a time.