How do I edit my alert preferences?
Whether you are using the Java or the Windows version of Yahoo! Messenger, start by clicking on the Edit menu and selecting Preferences.
- Java Version:
- Choose whether you'd like to be alerted when you receive new messages in your Yahoo! Mail account.
- Choose whether you'd like to be alerted when someone on your Friend List comes online or goes offline.
- Windows Version:
- The Preferences window lets you configure the Yahoo! Messenger's look and feel, alert options, and firewall/ proxy settings. Your alert options include dialog boxes, sounds, and taskbar alerts.
For many tabs, you'll have these options:
- "Flash the taskbar tray icon" will flash a white background behind the Y! logo in the taskbar tray.
- "Display a dialog box" will pop up a dialog box to tell you which of your friends has just come on or gone offline.
- "Play a sound" lets you be alerted by a sound. You can choose to hear one sound when friends come online and a different sound when friends go offline.
- Click the Browse button to change the sounds, or click the Ear button to hear the current sound. If you'd like to use your own sounds (in .wav format), just click the Browse button to locate them on your computer's hard drive. If you aren't able to hear the alert sounds, see our Troubleshooting Guide.
For the Yahoo! Finance and Yahoo! Mail preferences:
- You'll need a Yahoo! Finance portfolio to receive stock alerts. How To configure portfolios.
- You'll need a Yahoo! Mail account or a Yahoo! Personals account to receive mail alerts.
Note: The email alert tells you how many new messages you have received since the last time you went to Yahoo! Mail or Yahoo! Personals, not how many unread messages you have. Currently, Yahoo! Messenger can only provide alerts for mail received in your Yahoo! account, and it can only alert you to new mail while you are connected to the Internet and your Messenger is connected to our servers.