Using search preferences
This article explains the various options available in Yahoo! Search and how to use them.
Preferences are saved settings that apply every time you use Yahoo! to search the Web. To change your preferences, select Preferences from the "More" menu to the right of the search box on the Yahoo! Search start page. On the resulting page, you can select the following Yahoo! Search preferences:
- Yahoo! Search: Turn on or off the Search Direct suggestions which appear beneath the search box when entering search terms. There are four settings ranging from "Never" to "Always."
- Safe Search: Safe Search filters recognized explicit, adult-oriented content and images out of your search results. SafeSearch can be set to one of three modes and can be password protected. Please keep in mind that no filter is perfect, and Yahoo! cannot guarantee that all explicit content will be recognized and filtered out of results. To learn more about SafeSearch, please visit the help article, "Using Yahoo! SafeSearch".
- SearchScan: SearchScan protects your computer from viruses and attack. This service is provided by Bing, and alerts you to websites that may be potentially harmful.
- Languages: As our search includes websites from all over the world, your results may include sites written in other languages. If you'd like to limit your search to certain languages, you can select them here.
You can also adjust the following display & layout settings:
- Open results in a new window: Use this setting to have each search result you select open in a new browser window, allowing you to keep your Yahoo! Search results page in view. The default setting is No.
- Results per page: Yahoo! Search displays 10 Web results per page. You can change this limit to see between 10 and 100 results on your page.
After selecting your preferences, select Finished. A confirmation message will appear, and you will return to your search results.
NOTE: Your preferences apply every time you log in and use Yahoo! Search, unless you use Advanced Search to choose different options for each individual search. If you are signed-in to your Yahoo! Account, your preferences will be saved to your account and will be accessible from any computer. Otherwise, your preferences are only saved to the computer you are currently using.