Getting a higher rank for your website
This article offers advice for improving your website's position within the Yahoo! Search results.
In general, the best way to improve your site's ranking is to include unique content targeted to your audience, however the following tips can also help your pages to be more easily found by a focused search on the internet:
- The organic search listings on Yahoo! Search are powered by Bing. Familiarize yourself with the tools available at the Bing Webmaster Center.
- Think carefully of the key terms that your audience will use to search for content like yours. Use those terms to guide the construction of your website text and pages.
- Users are more likely to click a link if the title matches their search. Choose terms for your page titles that match the content of your documents.
- Use a "Description" meta-tag and write your description accurately and carefully. After the title, the description is the most important draw for users. Make sure the document title and description attract the interest of the user as well as matching the content on your site.
- Use a "Keyword" meta-tag to list keywords for each page of your website. Use distinct lists of keywords that relate to each specific page on the site. Do not use one broad set of keywords for the entire site.
- Keep relevant text and links in HTML. Encoding your text in graphics or image maps can prevent search engines from finding the text or following links to your website's other pages.
- Add an HTML/XML site map, with a link from your welcome page, can help make sure all your pages are crawled.
- Use ALT text for graphics. ALT text improves the text content of your page for search purposes. It also makes your pages more accessible to text-only browsers and visually impaired site visitors.
- Correspond with webmasters of related sites and other providers of relevant content in order to increase the number of links to your site.
NOTE: links from sites similar to yours or from sites whose audiences might be interested in your site will improve your site's search ranking, however building "Link Farms" (e.i., creating links between unrelated pages in order to increase page link counts) will not help your site. The use of "Link Farms" violates Yahoo!'s Site Guidelines and will not improve your page ranking.
To learn more, please review our Site Guidelines.