The main complaint with traditional free agency has been there can be a mad dash to pick up those unclaimed players (especially those whose value has suddenly changed because of an injury or new role) without using up your waiver priority. Continuous waivers is intended to address this concern. To use or not to use continuous waivers is optional and controlled by the commissioner.
Continuous means that all unowned players are on waivers at all times (No free agents.) Waiver claims are processed on fixed days of the week as defined by the commissioner. When a player is dropped, he must remain on waivers for a set number of days before he can be claimed; that number of days is indicated by the "Time players are on waivers" setting.
- The commissioner selects continuous waivers, and then selects one or more days throughout the week when waivers get processed -- the minimum is at least one day, but can be up to seven days a week (daily waivers processing).
- Continuous waivers are most useful when combined with Daily - Today roster changes. This setting makes the player immediately eligible on their team after the waiver claim processes, without waiting an additional day as with Daily - Tomorrow roster changes.
- Continuous waivers are especially useful for leagues that also use FAAB waivers, because now all unowned players would require a bid in order to be added to a team. There still is a minimum waiting period for dropped players. Owners may have to wait for the next cycle to clear to claim a player dropped to waivers.
Example: A player is dropped on Monday, and the league has a 2-day waiver period. Waivers are set to process on Tuesdays and Fridays. The player would not clear waivers until Thursday, and would process for the player on Friday.
To enable or disable Continuous Waivers:
- Log into Yahoo! Fantasy Sports.
- Click your league name on the right-hand side of the page.
- Select the Commish Tools tab.
- Click the Edit League Settings link.
- Locate the "Waiver Rule" setting, and select Continuous.
- Another menu will appear for "Process Waivers On." Check the boxes next to the days on which you want waivers to process.
- When you've finished your selections, click the Submit button at the bottom of the page.
To disable Continuous Waivers:
- Locate the "Waiver Rule" setting, and select the waiver rule you want your league to abide by.
- Click the Submit button at the bottom of the page.