How to place Video Calls with Messenger for Android
- Video calling with Yahoo! Messenger for Android.
- Video Call controls for Android.
To get started using the Video Call feature on your Android device, you'd need to download and install the "Messenger Voice and Video" Plug-In from Google Play. Here's how:
- Press the Home button.
- Sign in to Yahoo! Messenger for Android.
- Press the Menu button.
- Tap Options.
- Tap Voice and Video.
- Tap Install Plug-In.
- Tap Free.
- Tap OK. The plug-in will be downloaded and installed.
Now that you have the "Messenger Voice and Video" Plug-In installed, follow the below mentioned steps to start a video call from your Android device:
- From the Messenger List, tap-and-hold on the contact to be called so that the contact name is highlighted. A list of options with icons will be displayed. Tap the Video icon.
- From a Messenger conversation, press the phone's menu button. Options with icons will be displayed at the bottom of the screen. Tap the Video icon.
Note: Messenger will notify the contact that there is an incoming video call.
During a video call, the following controls are displayed:
- Speaker - toggles between turning the sound on and off
- Video - toggles to turn the caller's video on and off
- Flip - toggles between camera's on the caller's phone, if the phone has two cameras
- Mute - toggles between turning the caller's speaker on and off
- End Call - cancels the call
- Hold - puts the caller on hold, and resumes the call
To show the video controls, tap the screen or press the hardware menu button. If the controls are not used, they will disappear in 10 seconds.
To hide the controls, tap outside the control box.
The Video Call feature is compatible with the following versions:
- Android with Messenger 1.2 or greater
- iPhone with Messenger 2.0 or greater
- PC with Messenger 10.0 or greater
- You can have a two-way video conversation with a Yahoo! Messenger contact.
- This service is free.
- For two-way video, the caller's contact uses their Android or iPhone camera or has a webcam attached to their PC. If the contact is using a PC and does not have a webcam connected or if the contact is on an iPhone that's not running iOS 4, there will only be one-way video.
- Please note that the quality of the video is limited by bandwidth. For users using 3G, for example, the quality may not be as good as that for home users.
- Voice and Video buttons will be grayed out if the features are unavailable in any given conversation, which can happen if you are conversing with a user who is using a version of the software in which the feature is not supported.